Locked

 

It was a dark and breezy winter night and I was coming home from my my mom's friends daughters dance recital. I was so much fun and everyone did great!

When we got home we parked the car in the garage and we ran to the door because we were so tired.

 My sister opened the door and said,¨ It is locked.¨

Everyone tried opening the door but it was definitely locked. No one knew what to do, but my mom unlocked the car and we all went in, except for daddy.

¨Can I honk the horn?¨ I asked Mom.

She said no. We were sitting in the front seat because we never get to go in the front.

I kept touching all the parts of the steering wheel, trying to find where the horn was hidden.

We started opening compartments and touching the mirror. We were actually having fun.

HONK!!! The horn finally honked and everyone laughed except for mom. 

¨ I told you no.¨ Mom said.

¨Wait!¨ I screamed

I was looking out the window at dad. And then suddenly I started to laugh!

¨What are you laughing at?¨ My sister Adi asked.

I told them to look at dad and then suddenly my sisters laughed and my mom put down window.

¨ What are you doing?¨ My mom asked him.

He told her he was busting down the down the door with a hammer!

I looked closely and and he busted it! Well not exactly, he just broke it, it did not come down.

The door didn't work for a while, but we fixed it [ eventually! ] 

Comments

  1. Oh yikes. That was another adventurous night. I’m glad you and your sisters make fun during disasters and that this is how you remembered this moment. 😬

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! Getting locked out of your house is a nuisance for sure and I can just picture how funny it looked to see your dad with that hammer. Poor door - glad it got fixed, eventually. Your wonderful dialogue really brings this story to life - well-done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite part:
    I kept touching all the parts of the steering wheel, trying to find where the horn was hidden.

    We started opening compartments and touching the mirror. We were actually having fun.

    HONK!!! The horn finally honked and everyone laughed except for mom.

    ¨ I told you no.¨ Mom said

    One reason I like it is because I can picture it clearly in my mind. You and your sisters were finding ways to have fun...and you found the horn! But I could also picture your mom, who probably was not having fun right then. I like the way you had her just say the short line, "I told you no." That made me picture her in a bit of a grouchy or worried mood.
    I'm glad your father knew what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your mom's version of this story first and then yours. It was interesting to me to read about the same event from differing perspectives.
    The part about the horn made me laugh. That's something my kids (one of whom is just a bit older than you) would ask to do!
    I appreciated the way you brought this story to life through the dialogue you used. Every bit of it truly advanced your story about being LOCKED OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed when I got to the part about how you were sitting in the front seat, touching everything that you normally aren't allowed to touch! I thought you were going to get in trouble for honking the horn and your parents would end up getting into the house with an extra key or something, so I was definitely surprised when your dad broke open the door with a hammer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your telling of this. I read your mom's version first. Isn't it interesting how the same thing can happen to us but we see it differently?! Your post reminded me that sometimes when we as parents worry, our kids see something as fun. Thanks for this Wren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this slice last week but my comment failed to publish! I love YOUR perspective on this family moment. Your mom's captured the stress of it all while yours captured the adventure and fun of it! I clearly remember hearing about this night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little late, but I just read your mom's memory of this and now I am reading yours. What I notice about yours is that you start with the night - "dark and breezy" - and that you have great description about the fun you were having. Your mom's version sounded like a lot less fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ¨ Farm ¨