Worlds Worst Fire Drill

   It was one of those days. The clock was ticking and it was around five more minutes until recess. I was watching the clock getting ready for Mr. Stillway to yell out, ¨ Close your computers and get ready for recess." I felt my heart beating as I looked at the clock on my computer and the one on the wall on top of the door way. 

     Then I felt a ping. I had to use the bathroom. Why did it have to be 4 minutes before my recess. I guess I had to be quick. I held up my hand in the air with a fist, signaling that I had to use the bathroom. My teacher noticed right away and nodded his head. 

     I walked at my full speed trying to get to the girls bathroom as fast as I could. But I guess it was not fast enough. Two girls got there two seconds before me. 

     I could not wait this long. I zoomed back into my classroom. My teacher was still at his desk on his computer. 

     ¨Can I please use the downstairs bathroom please." I asked hoping he would say yes. 

     ¨ Sure, make it quick," he answered me. 

     I pushed the door open and then--- ¨DING DING DING DING."

     It was the fire alarm and it had gone off. I felt my heart beating like a drum. I heard my teacher yell, ¨Wren, come back." I rushed back. 

     I went to the back of the line and followed the group. Another class cut off half of our class. But we eventually found our way together. 

     There was a lot of talking, doors opening and closing, and teachers shushing.  All the normal sounds of a fire drill. 

     We stopped at a tree in front of someones yard. Now I really had to pee. It was hard holding it in. 

     Everywhere teachers were holding up green signs that said, "All here."

     Once my teacher heard a walkie-talkie say, ¨ All clear, all clear, ¨ we went straight to recess. Well, except for me...I proceeded to the door to use the bathroom.

     I felt relived when I finally stepped foot in that bathroom. I never thought that I would say this, [Or type it] But I will never take bathrooms for granted again. 

  

Comments

  1. This was so suspenseful! Haha Great writing Wren. I can’t even imagine having to wait that whole time! Now every time I’m in a fire drill I’m going to think of this story! -Uncle Whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your writing has really grown since last year. I noticed your lead didn’t start with the weather. Your action and thinking really brought this piece to life. I can’t wait to see what else you write this month. Proud of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fabulous piece of writing! I love your hook- "It was one of those days." (I think we can ALL relate!) I could feel how frustrated you must have been when the fire alarm went off right as you were trying to get to the bathroom! I HATE having to go to the bathroom and having to wait. Your writing was so descriptive and had so much voice. I was right there with you, cheering for you when you finally got to use the bathroom. Your last line was also a "golden line" in my opinion- wrapped up your post so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hysterical, Wren! You set it up perfectly with that lead! When that fire alarm went off, I laughed out loud and then felt like I had to pee! You wrap up this slice brilliantly with the line "I'll never take the bathroom for granted". Thanks so much for sharing! Keep em coming! I love the sneak peaks into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of kid's worst fear - being in the bathroom during a fire drill or lockdown. Sounds like you handled it well! Bet it was the best "All clear, all clear, all clear" that you have heard!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ¨ Farm ¨

Locked

Dance