Competition Ready

 

       This year I joined the competitive team at my dance studio, we call that the company. I am in Company Fearless with about seven other girls. We go to about three competitions a year and our second one was in Massachusetts. Me, my mom, my aunt, and my two sisters, Adi and Rose, got to stay at a hotel the night before my competition. The night before, my mom and aunt took about 45 minutes, to an hour to straighten my hair. Since my hair is naturally curly, this takes a long time. At least our hotel room had a TV, so I mainly watched TV and had snacks. My mom had to braid my hair so that it was wavy for the competition. 

     The day of the competition was hectic. I needed to get up at six o'clock to get ready. My mom fixed my hair and put it into a slicked-back bun and I put on my contemporary costume. I do three competition dances but contemporary was my first one. I put on my jacket so that I would not get the makeup on my costume. I have to put on a lot of makeup for competitions, I don't know why, but I do.  The makeup takes about 25 minutes to do and is not very comfortable. 

     After a nice breakfast, I needed to hurry to the place where the competition was. The place was just across the street but it took a while because I had a huge duffel bag that folded out to be a rack for my costumes. My mom and I set it up while my aunt and sisters went to sit down. 

     When my friends and I performed, I was ecstatic, and when we placed, I was even happier. I guess all this getting ready paid off, even though it is the hardest part about competitions.   





Comments

  1. It’s funny that the getting ready is the hardest part. I would have guessed it was performing in front of an audience or the actual dancing. It’s been amazing to watch you grow as a dancer. So glad you’re back sharing your stories here. I always love reading your writing. I love you. ❤️ Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow. I’m proud of you. Very nice Wreny. You’re amazingly smart. Good writing I love that babe. Hmmmmmm praise the lord Almighty wow . Good job J. Good job auntie for been a part of the beautiful journey. I love you all. Wreny , you’re beautiful ❤️💕💕💕 ❤️ Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wren, I know your mom because we've written together for so many years, and I've been cheering for you as a dancer throughout this past month whenever she's written about you and your competitions. I have 4 daughters, and two of them danced in competitions, so I know all about it. Those are stressful but meaningful days! I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that you are capturing these competition memories in writing! Someday you'll be able to look back on them and remember more because you wrote! Congrats on being ready and placing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ¨ Farm ¨

Locked